[LUG] OT: BBC HD picture quality petition

Hi folks,

This might not affect everyone on the list, but basically there is a petition with regards to the poor picture quality on BBC HD (which is currently on Satellite, Cable and in limited areas, Freeview).

The argument is that the BBC have drastically reduced the bit rate of the BBC HD channel a few months ago when they changed the encoders they use to encode the channel for broadcast. According to the BBC, the reduction in quality (around 40% reduction) is not enough with these new encoders to cause any loss of quality. However it appears it isn't the case and with many programmes, the compression artifacts seriously reduces the quality.

Unfortunately the BBC don't seem to be interested in any responses to the problem. The head of BBC HD argues that there isn't any problems, but the Beeb won't even increase the bit rate to prove the viewers wrong, so someone has come up with a petition to get the problem sorted out.

As I say, it might not affect everyone, at least not at the moment, but when you spend hundreds of pounds, possibly even a couple of thousand on a HD TV setup, the last thing you want to find is the investment has gone to waste due to poor TV quality (I'm disregarding some of the chaff that is on TV, it appears that programme content wise, BBC HD at least shows programming to cover most tastes with a selection of programmes from all the BBC channels). I'd certainly say myself though, spending even just £150 on a HD satellite box, I'd be pretty miffed if I didn't see any noticeable increase in quality of picture and audio.

Anyway, the petition can be found here: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/BBCHDPQ

Rob