Re: [LUG] OT: BBC HD picture quality petition

On 31/12/09 00:25, Shaun Orchard wrote:
2009/12/31 g_remlin<g_remlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Nobody has any BBC HD yet. The HD standard the BBC will use is only in
draft, due for completion in January 2010. No receiver is yet manufactured
capable of receiving it (reported on the BBC News Channel). And yes I am
very pissed off, my 6 month old TV is already redundant!!
BBC HD has been broadcasting on satellite and Virgin for years. That
is why people are complaining, because it used to look excellent, now
not quite so much.

The standard that the UK is using for HD terrestrial, DVB-T2 has only
just been finalised. If you live in London or the North West you can
already receive it, that is if you actually had the equipment to do
it. It won't be available for a little while and it will be hideously
expensive when it does arrive.

To think they took a multiplex off the BBC (thus reducing bitrates for
its other channels even further) for a service most of us can't
receive yet (I think the SW gets it during next year) and won't be
able to anyway until we buy all new equipment (and even then they
intend to cram 4 HD channels in - one of the conspiracy theories as to
why the BBC has lowered the bitrates is so that Freeview HD won't look
like crap compared to satellite). I'm glad that OFCOM had the
interests of the viewer at heart when they made that decision.

Shaun

Should have said, I was talking with regard to terrestrial, satellite & cable are a different can of worms as they come with a decoder supplied by the service provider. If the rollout of DVB-T2 will/has reduced the quality of DVB-S2/C2 transmissions, then as you say, that's politics at work.