[LUG] Tech changes 'outstrip' netbooks & Psion

On the logic that I read

95, 98 & Me were classed as "versions of Windows 9x" or Windows 4
XP was Windows 5
Vista Windows 6

I understand that NT and 2000 etc were regarded seperately. I can't remember how to do it but it you checked the "System" in each version it came up as Windows 4, 5, 6 etc.

Regarding netbooks, I agree that there does seem to be a desire to kill them off, I have four netbooks, rwo Samsung NC10s and two Acer ones, all of them manage to run Open Office, FireFox, The Gimp etc, I do a lot of photography, non of the netbooks are startlingly fast but I could live with them if need be.

On the acers I have 1.5 gig of ram on one and i gig on the other both run Linpus which I have set up to open and save to NTFS both are perfectly adequate machines.

On the NC10s one has 2 Gig of ram and I run Linux Mint on it, the other has Windows XP, the linux machine is obviously the faster of the two but are both perfectly useable.

On battery life, the Samsung with the large battery appears to run for 5 to 6 hours, so it is ample for mine and probably most peoples needs, a spare battery of the same size would take that up to 10 hours.

I do think that the real reason that certain people would like to see the back of netbooks is simply down to the fact that they are up to the job for most peoples needs and are showing just how pointless the so called upgrades of windows and various associated "upgraded" software really is.

Regarding the new "psion", I do still have a couple of older psions, a series and a series 5, its let down was the folding mechanism, they would have done better to have strengthened the series 3 clamshell. Both are still perfectly useable, the transfer of files is easier on the series 5 to a linix pc because it uses a compact flash card and the fact that it uses AA batteries means that I am never caught short, (the later REVO was let down by its fixed internal battery) and I do still do some simple word processing on it. I do suspect that a simple upgraded psion, using EPOC and with a usb interface and SD card slot and preferably AA batteries would be still marketable.

Lena