Re: [LUG] wireless and wired network

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> I currently have 2 PC's and 1 laptop which at present are linked to my
> router / hub.
>
> The laptop (dell mini 10v), has wireless, which I would like to use
> elsewhere in the house for web / e-mail etc.
>
> I don't want to go down the wireless route just yet,  so therefore want
> to keep my current wired (draytek) router.  However If I buy a Wireless
> card adn install this in my main desktop PC, can I set it up so the mini
> 10 can access this wirelessly, and connect to the network, using the PC
> as some sort of bridge thing.

Strongly suggest You do not go purely wireless.
I have similar situation 2 machines one desktop and one laptop*
connected by Ethernet at 2~3m from router. One laptop (15m one floor and
3 walls away) connected by wireless.
However to set up and maintain when problems with wireless I bring
downstairs , connect by Ethernet to router and fix, with machine about
1m from wireless router.

* Uses wireless when away from my house, via insert card.

I suggest a modem / wired /wireless router these usually have 4 wired
connections OR
add a wireless router to one of your Ethernet  slots on router.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald (eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Electronic mail is not secure and may not be authentic.
 If you have any doubts as to the contents please telephone to confirm.