Re: [LUG] wireless and wired network

On 26/12/2009 17:49, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Absolutely.

Your easy choice is to buy a new modem/router/wi-fi all-in-one unit, and failing that a stand-alone Wi-Fi access point. This will connect to the router via Ethernet - just as the PC is connecting now.

Start here for examples:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=57&Sort=3

Gordon

I found a BT Homehub works lovely for this purpose. Even though I got shot of BT, I left the home hub connected into the network, turned off DHCP/DNS etc and kept the wireless turned on and it worked pretty well as a Wireless N access point. They often come up on freecycle, possibly because they're locked to BT (at least the Homehub 2 I have is).

Rob