Re: [LUG] wireless and wired network

On 26/12/2009 16:11, Paul Sutton wrote:

Hi

I currently have 2 PC's and 1 laptop which at present are linked to my
router / hub.

The laptop (dell mini 10v), has wireless, which I would like to use
elsewhere in the house for web / e-mail etc.

I don't want to go down the wireless route just yet,  so therefore want
to keep my current wired (draytek) router.  However If I buy a Wireless
card adn install this in my main desktop PC, can I set it up so the mini
10 can access this wirelessly, and connect to the network, using the PC
as some sort of bridge thing.

I am not very good with what terminology to use, here, so hope that I
have got the idea across as to what I want to do.

Any ideas if this is possible ?

Eventually I guess I can go wireless, however given distance between
router and main PC is<  1 meter, its hardly worth having a wireless link
that short distance, I take it wireless routers can also handle normal
wired networks for shorter distances.

Paul

Not sure, I dare say you can (I believe it's an Adhoc network you need to create) and then route everything through the PC, but to be honest you might be just as well as getting hold of a wireless router and patching one of it's network ports into the Draytek.

On the other hand, what is the model number of the Draytek router as you may be lucky as it may have wireless already built in.

Rob