Re: [LUG] And then it went *phut* ...

Hello all

I asked my son for a comment as this is one of his specialty areas. Here
is his reply.
"
Can't think of one offhand but he might find the UPS he has provides
some excellent monitoring features via its network card. The larger
models (depending on vintage) have a temperature sensor input on the NW
card and I think an auxiliary switch input (could be wrong about that -
true of APC family which are now from the same parent company, I have
recently fitted a stack of these 2 to 5kVA range). In which case a
Hochiki 12V smoke or heat detector could be hooked up to it. Or a mains
powered one with an optional relay base (available from electrical
factors such as City Electrical, WF, Newey etc) would give a volt-free
contact output. That output from either type could be connected to the
aux input if it has one, or find a way to get an alarm input to the
server via a USB or serial or parallel port switch input converter.

I think what he has discovered is the very urgent need for cooling of
computer equipment. The power density when any amount of kit is packed
together - on shelves or a rack - then located in a small space - under
the stairs - is much higher than free-air circulation can hope to cool
and temperatures of 50C among the gubbins are not uncommon. Enough to
kill a hard disk, age capacitors etc. The surface temperatures of any
switch mode power supply can be far higher than this. We have a
constant
battle with those poxy 12V halogen downlights that are all the rage -
or
thankfully were all the rage as Building Regulations have all but
outlawed them - they are a fire hazard and I can point to a number of
piles of ash that were once magnificent old houses that were
'modernised' with this lethal technology.

The answer is to spread it out, turn it off when not used or buy some
airconditioning. At least get the air moving. I would suggest for an
understairs cupboard that an extractor fan high up and a fresh-air
inlet
low down would go a long way. Outside air is a pretty cheap way of
cooling but damp is then a problem - we could get elaborate here and
cook up an air-to-air heat exchanger to isolate the two air systems ...
go to a scrap yard and get an old Intercooler from a lorry turbocharger
system! Heath Robinson would be proud.

Mike"

--
james kilty