Re: [LUG] Open Source Alternatives: Flowcharting & Conversion

2009/12/21 tom brough <tombrough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>> On 21/12/2009 13:35, Terry Hill wrote:
>>> I've been trying to get a few of the people at college to try some
>>> open source stuff and am enjoying a lot of success for a change.
>>>
>>> I've managed to push openoffice almost without opposition; it seems
>>> the last m$ office outing has left those who struggle a bit out in the
>>> cold after they "moved everything".  Once I showed a small group they
>>> could load/save m$ formats they've done the job of evangalising for
>>> me.   Anyway, to this end I've been asked to find two more
>>> alternatives:
>>>
>>> Something for making charts, mind maps, flow charts etc, like Smart
>>> Draw - eg very easy to use, semi-automatic.
>>>

>> I'm not sure if Dia might cover this requirement, it's available for
>> Linux and Windows and it has all sorts of things for making diagrams,
>> it might be worth a look.
>>> Something for converting PDF's or a way to get PDF's inside Openoffice
>>> text documents.  I havent been asked to get text in, just downloaded
>>> charts etc found on the net.
>>>

>> So you mean you want to basically take the contents of PDF's and
>> import that into OpenOffice?
>>
>> Um... not sure on that one, I've looked into it before, there are pdf
>> to ps/eps converters out there, but I'm not overly sure on that.
>>
>> Rob
>>

> There is a plugin for Open Office (experimental) that import PDF's.
> However it only imports into the draw tool NOT writer. I don't think its
> worked properly since 3.1was released.
>
> Tom.
>

> --

No worries, then I'm looking for something to convert pdf to png or
any image format that OO will import.  Hmm I wonder if there's a front
end for ImageMagik that does it....or even gimp perhaps (although gimp
seems a bit o.t.t. for such a small job).

I'll keep looking.   I had a little drive around Freemind earlier.
It's not bad at all tbh, although I'm going to give DIA a go too
tomorrow.  I think I'm going to make a CD image tailored for access
students and then give a few away in the new year.