Re: [LUG] Open Source Alternatives: Flowcharting & Conversion

On 21/12/2009 13:35, Terry Hill wrote:
I've been trying to get a few of the people at college to try some
open source stuff and am enjoying a lot of success for a change.

I've managed to push openoffice almost without opposition; it seems
the last m$ office outing has left those who struggle a bit out in the
cold after they "moved everything".  Once I showed a small group they
could load/save m$ formats they've done the job of evangalising for
me.   Anyway, to this end I've been asked to find two more
alternatives:

Something for making charts, mind maps, flow charts etc, like Smart
Draw - eg very easy to use, semi-automatic.

I'm not sure if Dia might cover this requirement, it's available for Linux and Windows and it has all sorts of things for making diagrams, it might be worth a look.
Something for converting PDF's or a way to get PDF's inside Openoffice
text documents.  I havent been asked to get text in, just downloaded
charts etc found on the net.

So you mean you want to basically take the contents of PDF's and import that into OpenOffice?

Um... not sure on that one, I've looked into it before, there are pdf to ps/eps converters out there, but I'm not overly sure on that.

Rob