Re: [LUG] 21CN

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009, Kai Hendry wrote:

I don't see why people in respective villages can't hook themselves up
on their own initiative. I.e. have cabinets in every village and its
upto the residents to string cables upto that cabinet. If they want to
setup some daisy chain of wireless APs, then they should be free to do
it.

Lookup wayleave ...

If they think overhead cables are too ugly then they can bear the cost
of burying it.

Almost impossible. Too many hoops to jump through - permissions, payments, etc.
do what the services and cable people do - dig it up anyway and leave a complete mess for the council to clear up!

I would think that nowadays wireless might be a good way to go - some fusion of the grid-networking on the OLPC and some point to point ( when it warms up I must make a few helical aerials and do some testing....) and cash up front from the users, A Bristol group have done a reasonable job but as Gordon pointed out for some people 'community' means the ability to parasitise. Always work on the principle that someone will try and rip you off and make it so that they cant.
Tom te tom te tom