Re: [LUG] 21CN

Just arrived in Cornwall after a hectic train journey from Surrey. I
had another letter from my MP explaining that the 5meg SDSL upgrade
will not complete until 2013. This broadband upgrade comes under the
"Convergence Programme" and I found this site:

http://www.convergencecornwall.com/

Which I've yet to parse.

2009/12/20 Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> The next big push is fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) and that will be a
> fore-runner to FTTP (Fibre to the Premises). FTTC will enable things like
> 5Mb SDSL to then be delivered - again, depending on distance from the
> cabinet - and in most urban areas you're usually no more than 1-200m from
> your nearest cabinet - how this will work in the backwaters of beyond is
> anyones guess. One hurdle is getting power to the cabinet to power the fibre
> convertors and DSLAMs, but the cable companies have been doing this for
> years. (even if they then never replace their cabinet UPS batteries...)

I don't see why people in respective villages can't hook themselves up
on their own initiative. I.e. have cabinets in every village and its
upto the residents to string cables upto that cabinet. If they want to
setup some daisy chain of wireless APs, then they should be free to do
it.

If they think overhead cables are too ugly then they can bear the cost
of burying it.

The best network environments I have been on, are ones my neighbours
and I have set up. It gave a real sense of community to boot. In
Romania I've heard of similar things. They have a great fibre
infrastructure and it's set up by resident initiatives in several
areas.