Re: [LUG] IBM Model M

Gemma Peter wrote:
Here's another option if you can't find one. There's a company that still makes new keyboards based on the IBM designs. I've got one myself. http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/customizer.html I think they might even have ones with an inbuilt trackpoint mouse but I'm not sure if those have buckling spring keys.

All of the Model M copies tend to be very expensive, and not of the same quality at all. Real Model Ms are getting hard to obtain in this country. There are lots on ebay US, but these things are heavy, so the shipping cost is prohibitive.

Often people have them buried in a cupboard or loft and will just throw them away the next time they find them- this was the main reason I brought it up here. The one I'm currently using came from someone on this list who didn't want it (apologies to the person concerned- I can't actually remember who you are! I am very grateful however!).

I wasn't expecting to get a Model M with a TrackPoint. In actual fact, even the Model Ms with TrackPoints aren't of the same standard. The idea was to shoehorn the TrackPoint part into a Model M. I have looked into the possibility of using the TrackPoint from a ThinkPad, since I can get those really cheaply, but it seems that the controllers for laptop keyboards are built into the motherboard, so that doesn't help much.