Re: [LUG] Small ARM Server/Dev platform

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, bas wrote:

The atom CPU is reltively low-power (wattage), however the rest of the components on the motherboard aren't )-:
dam, thought i was on a winner too !

And if it's an intel board, the fan will fail after 3 months of 24x7 use - I've had 3 now do this
awww, wish you had not told me that, its been running now for about 6 months 24/7, did the whole thing meltdown ? (dustbin job) ?

No. And one of these boxes is currently sitting in a data centre in Sheffield... It's a bit warm, but still going fine.

(Have you actually checked yours to see if it's still running???)

See:

  http://unicorn.drogon.net/hot.png

I suspect the room AC is helping somewhat. The only other fan in the box is in the PSU which I don't have the ability to monitor...

It had a few days of going slow, then seemed to be OK again, then just gave up totally.

(It's gradually getting hotter because the CPU load is gradually increasing over time!)

The other 2 were at home - one is my workstation - the fan started to get noisy and go slow, so I changed it - same for the backup server - noisy and slow/grating sounds. Replaced that too. They're cheap plastic bearing fans running stupidly fast. There are better fans out there!

However, there are now fanless Atom motherboards available, so it's going to be replaced with a pair of these soon. I'd use a cluster of Geodes if my cheapskate clients didn't want VoIP codec transcoding - the Geodes are rubbish at that - one failling of slower processors with small caches.

Gordon