Re: [LUG] Small ARM Server/Dev platform

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, bas wrote:

Hi All

Just read this months LF and they featured these tiny ARM based 'servers', they not much bigger than a power brick(110mm (L) x 69.5mm (W) x 48.5 mm (H)) -
if anyone is interested - here is the link:

http://www.newit.co.uk/

I've ordered one with the aim of creating a small LAMP server - it runs ARM port of ubuntu 9.04.

Ah, they're now in the UK. Good..

  * Power input: 100-240VAC/50-60Hz 19W

I hope that's the PSU spec and not the unit's power consumption! My little 500MHz Geode devices only take 4 watts - even my 1GHz VIA systems only run at 15 watts...

Be intersting to compare it in terms of 'grunt' to an intel chip of similar speed though - Via most likely.

I'll probably hold out for my N900 though - need to generate some more toy money first though!

hi,
also the atom is down at those same sort of low power levels. i have a 1.6 dual core with 2 gig ram used as a file server (bit more expensive though).

The atom CPU is reltively low-power (wattage), however the rest of the components on the motherboard aren't )-:

Look at that board and you'll see that the chip with the fan on isn't the processor, it's the northbridge/graphics chip.... (And if it's an intel board, the fan will fail after 3 months of 24x7 use - I've had 3 now do this)

I've got several Atom boards - as a workstation and as servers and they're all hotter than Via boards. My home server - Atom single core processor, 1GB of RAM, 2 x 1TB WD "green" drives still sucks 45 watts (the drives are < 10 watts each) If only I could power-down the video hardware on the servers... If only they had a serial accessable BIOS...

That's where the Geode board I use win - no power sucking video hardware! That's also where the sheeva units will win in terms of power consumption too.

Gordon