Re: [LUG] OT: Sage Line 50 (was Hard Drives)

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, rich@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Just to fill you in a bit. We have a Mac Pro running 2 quad core processors with 8gb ram on a gigabit ethernet. All the Mac Pro currently does is to serve Sage Line 50 files. It is fast - very fast but the boss wants to squeeze more speed. e.g. A Sage search can take up to 12 seconds to process! Ok the real problem is that while waiting for that search other folks are getting locked out and Sage is crashing maybe 2/3 times a day. The real answer is to buy the proper tool. I've been trying to get the client to look at mysql and some front end support and build your own - erp, crm tool. We could then switch to a full Linux system. However, in the meantime we have crashes to deal with.

So the data:
Gets written to a lot
Gets read a lot
Searches crash the computers

Any thoughts on whether speeding up a hard drive would make that much difference please?

My experiences of running a Samba server fo Sage is that it's (Sage) terribly ineficient and the network ended up being the bottleneck - although not in terms of bandwidth, but in terms of how Sage was using it by the looks of things - highish packet rate indicating lots and lots of small reads.

However this was 5+ years back, so things may have improved since then.

Never had any clients crash though - they all "just worked", but slowly...

I think it was originally designed for a one-person, one PC with a local disk sort of thing, so the multi-user stuff probably wasn't really well thought out.

So.. When that Sage search is taking 12 seconds, see if you can see what the network's doing - however, even then, it might be that it's not doing any inteligent buffering at all and ending up doing lots and lots of tiny reads rather than buffering up bigger reads...

Gordon