Re: [LUG] OT: Sage Line 50 (was Hard Drives)

Max Siegieda wrote:
Short answer, yes it probably would. Tom's Hardware did some tests on various drives alongside some SSDs a while ago, here have a link --> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/short-stroking-hdd,2157-5.html

If you can cope with the massively reduced capacity without having to buy more drives (in which case SSDs would be better) then it's a decent option.

Problem is, the bottleneck could then be the network. Personally I say they should stop 'fixing' things with plasters and sort it out once and for all. I mean, a couple of SSD's aren't going to be cheap (cheapest is what, over £100 for 32GB?), and a reasonable speed Intel 'Extreme' X25-E (which seems to be more aimed at servers, workstations and high performance desktops) are around £300 each for 32GB or about £600 each for 64GB.

At that sort of price it would probably be better to write a dedicated application maybe in PHP/MySQL?

What exactly is the Mac's role anyway, is it just holding data files (like a standard Windows/Samba file share or is it running a specific Sage server application?

Looking at this page, http://www.sbslimited.co.uk/sageslow.htm suggests that you can run Server side reports, but it requires a Windows machine (doesn't have to be a server, it says Windows XP Home does the job) but you do need lots of RAM, your limit there on Windows XP (at least 32-Bit) will be 3.5GB, there may be a 64-Bit build of Sage available which would give more memory.

But if it was me, I'd be calling Sage directly for advice or looking at replacing Sage with something else.

Rob