Re: [LUG] Recording industry getting taste of own medicine

Paul Sutton wrote:

tom wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:
On 08/12/2009 09:48, tom wrote:
http://www.thestar.com/business/article/735096--geist-record-industry-faces-liability-over-infringement

Tom te tom te tom

Quote from the site...

"The class action seeks the option of statutory damages for each
infringement. At $20,000 per infringement, potential liability exceeds
$60 billion."

Ha, I love it!

Serves them right, okay I know they're not downloading and sharing
files for free, but they are still selling unlicenced music, in fact,
I'd say it's worse as they're effectively selling on pirated music
(until they pay the licence fee).

I don't think its right for us as a group to condone music piracy, but I
have heard that one of the reasons people pirate music is a the cost of
actual cd's vs how much (or in this case) how little the actual artist
actually gets.

I think if the actual people recording the songs got a better deal then
there may be less piracy.

Paul
I'd agree we shouldn't condone theft. Which is why the music industry needs to die now. Consider that a musician - if they're VERY lucky gets about 7p per track. That track is sold for 79p or something. That 72p the industry takes steals a massive increase in sales from the creator if they are lucky enough not to have been robbed of their rights anyway. Every purchase you make through the industry steals from the artist and gives them more money to continue to do so. The industry is no longer a wealth producer it was when a musician NEEDED the industry to promote their work. They have turned into the highwaymen of the information highway.
Tom te tom te tom