Re: [LUG] Recording industry getting taste of own medicine

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 11:05:49 +0000
Paul Sutton wrote:

> tom wrote:
> > Rob Beard wrote:

> >> Quote from the site...
> >>
> >> "The class action seeks the option of statutory damages for each
> >> infringement. At $20,000 per infringement, potential liability
> >> exceeds $60 billion."
> >>
> >> Ha, I love it!
> >>
> >> Serves them right, okay I know they're not downloading and sharing
> >> files for free, but they are still selling unlicenced music, in
> >> fact, I'd say it's worse as they're effectively selling on pirated
> >> music (until they pay the licence fee).
>

> I don't think its right for us as a group to condone music piracy,
> but I have heard that one of the reasons people pirate music is a the
> cost of actual cd's vs how much (or in this case) how little the
> actual artist actually gets.
>
> I think if the actual people recording the songs got a better deal
> then there may be less piracy.
>
> Paul

I'm not 100% sure that we are condoning "piracy".  Certainly I do not
condone copyright infringement, but I do think the amount various
recording associations are demanding from those who do infringe
copyrights is extortionate.  From the above it would seem that they "go
after" infringers with a $20k bill *per track infringed*.  Erm... let's
see... an individual CD with 15 tracks at $20k per track is $300k - who
in their right mind would pay $300k for a CD?  If they were more
realistic in their approach, they might not be laughed at quite so
much.  If, say, they said "the RRP of this 15-track CD is $25, since
you've been a very naughty person we'll whack you with a 3xRRP charge
of $75", then I think the situation would be more reasonable.

Where do they get this imaginary $20k per track figure from, anyway?

Grant.