Re: [LUG] Government IT policy

I think you have to stop where you are and take a look at the average
politician, councillor, party rep.

Most of them have trouble putting the wires in the back of a computer,
even one with every plug/socket marked with a unique colour.

Try talking IT to any candidate banging on your door during a
"season".  Their eyes glaze over and they'll start stammering on about
having trouble getting word to display bullet points.

In order to shake up IT within government, you need to stop the bigger
companies taking the piss out of the politicians.  To stop big
business taking the piss out of politicians, you need to teach them
how IT works.  Trouble is, in this country, you'll never do it, as
most of them cant even find minesweeper on an xp machine, let alone
the admin tools.  Show them debian and they'd break out in hives.  Or
say "Oh yes, how very interesting.  I'm really interested.  I am.
Thats great.  Can I have your vote as I'm clearly interested?  See!?
I'm looking at the screen thingy.  Any photographers around?"

The lib dems wont get anywhere for the same reasons any of them will
never connect with the IT crowd.  They will look like bumbling idiots
trying to dig up votes anywhere, which is all they are interested in,
lets face it.  Franky, very few people in politics in the UK give a
toss about IT, and are probably glad there are companies out there
that can make decisions for them.

You'd need a new party, from the bottom up.  A party that connects
with young adults on a tech level.  Perhaps starting in the Devon and
Cornwall area.  With Tom(teTom) as spokesman :D

Perhaps on a side note they could lobby Blizzard to get a native Linux
version of WOW so I can ditch this M$ crap I'm *still* running AND
keep the mrs happily murdering generations of innocent looking
creatures with wizardy spell things.