Re: [LUG] Government IT policy

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Henry Bremridge wrote:

My suspicion is that public bodies do not want to switch to FLOSS for
one of the following reasons:
- Our contracts specify proprietary software.
- The current system works (aka the devil we know is better that the
 devil we don't)
- When we have looked at it, we have looked with a view to seeing how it
 will not work. We have not tried to think how we can make it work.
- We do not know our current software will run on it.
- We have data sharing agreements that run on proprietary models

Call me cynical, but I'd add to that something along the lines that the *huge* companies that currently tender and are awarded the contracts to produce the current set of bespoke "national" software have large groups within them who actively lobby the govt., etc. to tell them that their way is best...
Thats not cynical enough! We currently have a bunch of idiots who are not capable of writing good software of any form advising the same government how things should be done in the knowledge that it doesn't matter how much of a cockup they make because their lawyers and contract writers can turn an engineering disaster into a massive profit for them. They KNOW there will be mission creep and it will be written in as 'not our fault'. Theres so much money involved democracy and sense went out the window a long time ago. There isnt a single party or MP out there with more that O'level IT and I cant see that changing in the near future - given that 95% of our IT 'experts' know jack anyway.
Tom te tom te tom