Re: [LUG] OT: Mobile phone recommendations

Gordon Henderson wrote:

> I've never ever 'synced' a phone with anything. ... What am I missing?

Well as I said I mostly want easy backup and restore.

I use to download contacts to my Nokia Communicator from my Intranet
based address book - but then I had a lot of contacts with a lot of
details to track, and needed them the same at the home Office.

> My phone *is* my calendar & diary - I don't seem to have a use for a
> desktop equivalent. Importing a list of email contacts might be nice,
> but actually I rarely use the phone like that, preferring to use putty
> to a server and run pine...
>
> Maybe it's just me though...

Nah I worked that way with the Nokia as far as Calendar was concerned.

> My next phone will be a Nokia N900. I'd have one on order now if I'd not
> bought something else last month (dive computer)... They're £500
> sim-free though which I suspect doesn't tick any boxes for you.

Maemo and Android intrigue me, largely why I asked here.

Of the Android one the HTC Hero already seems to have generated its own
set of fans. Although the ratings aren't all stellar.

I'm almost sold on the T-Mobile Pulse. I could very much live with
Google Calendar, as I use it for the odd personal reminder already. But
I feel it hard to get a feel for these phones, as the review said the
IMAP mail client was okay. I'd need to play......