Re: [LUG] HD TV cards

On 28/11/2009 22:14, Shaun Orchard wrote:
2009/11/28 James Fidell<james@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I don't *think* that's correct.  I believe some people on the mythtv
list have been recording Freeview HD using existing cards since the
test transmissions began at Crystal Palace(?).
The CP test transmissions started off being DVB-T only, but the most
recent incarnation switches between T and T2 at random times. You
certainly can't get T2 on commodity equipment - I believe the BBC R&D
department had to build a receiver to be able to watch it themselves.

I believe FreeSat HD requires a different tuner card though, because
that *is* different from the standard quality transmissions (DVB-S2 as
opposed to DVB-S).
Depends. BBC HD, ITV HD and Luxe TV HD broadcast from S transponders.
ITV HD even broadcasts alongside a couple of ITV regions on the same
transponder. Channel 4 HD (which you can't get without a Sky box or
dodgy CAM) + Sky HD channels are all S2.
I'm not sure which MPEG standard they use (I think MPEG4 for all of
them, except on Virgin where they have to be MPEG2 for whatever
reason).

Shaun

I wonder if Virgin use MPEG2 due to the system they use. I read a couple of days ago on Digital Spy that they're replacing their system with an IP based system from Tivo (I wonder if it'll be Linux based?).

It's a shame you can't legally connect the Virgin cable to a DVB-C card, I guess though there would be the possible issue of some people trying to crack things to get free pay-TV.

Rob