Re: [LUG] Segmentation fault - how should i fix this?

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Sam Grabham wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the responses to my problem.

The server is running CentOS 4 and is our main traffic routing server which routes traffic and equals load to 2 * ADSL and 1 Leased Lines.

It's a Supermicro 1U with 2GB EEC RAM 3ware RAID Mirror on SATA drives AMD 64bit dual NIC

I don't really want to risk rebooting , in case it doesn't come back up again.

I would like to if possible to cluster this box.

would you use ldirector and rsync config  to do this?

I think i looked into doing this before but wasn't sure how i would get all NICs to fail over so the routers would route packets to the correct interface.

or is there a better way of doing this?

if so , could you point me to a how to etc.

<fx: sucks in through teeth>

I have to say, while I know Linux is fantastic at everything, making it do everything at the same time is a bit of an eggs and basket situation..

Personally, I'd have a router doing routing (firewalling/shaping/sharing, etc.) and a separate fileserver doing fileserving (+ applications, etc)

If you want to run a 2nd box in parallel with the first box to provide a hot-spare, then you may want to look into Linux High-Avalability http://www.linux-ha.org/ That will help you fail one machine over to another - you then need something to mirror the disks, and DRBD is probably a good thing here (but I've not used it myself) http://www.drbd.org/ You'll find a lot online about using those two together.

My routers are diskless which makes fail-over much easier.

Good luck!

Gordon