Re: [LUG] Segmentation fault - how should i fix this?

Hi

Thanks for the responses to my problem.

The server is running CentOS 4 and is our main traffic routing server which routes traffic and equals load to 2 * ADSL and 1 Leased Lines.

It's a Supermicro 1U with 2GB EEC RAM 3ware RAID Mirror on SATA drives AMD 64bit dual NIC

I don't really want to risk rebooting , in case it doesn't come back up again.

I would like to if possible to cluster this box.

would you use ldirector and rsync config  to do this?

I think i looked into doing this before but wasn't sure how i would get all NICs to fail over so the routers would route packets to the correct interface.

or is there a better way of doing this?

if so , could you point me to a how to etc.

Regards

Sam

Simon Waters wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
Unlike Simon, I have had servers segfault due to hardware problems -
mostly memory.

I'm misunderstood, I said segfault is usually a software problem.

I've seen it due to hardware, but not usually on more than one server at
the same time. And usually it is accompanied by huge spew to system
logs, or obvious file system corruption or disk read errors (the kernel
log is worth checking).

The HP-UX documentation had a telling discussion on the error "Bus
Error" (a similar but slightly different type of fault), which after a
long list of possible software causes noted at the end that a "Bus error
may also be caused by an error on the bus".

Segfault just means that memory is being accessed in a way that isn't
allowed, reading memory not allocated to a program, writing to read only
memory.

Sam really needs to be more specific - do "ls" and "vi" fail on both
servers? Do they produce any other output? What Distro, what version,
what changed, any error messages in logs. What happens on reboot (he
said they won't reboot?).

Even where I've had DELL firmware bugs cause sections memory to be
randomly overwritten (and DELLs memory utilities failed to find it -
memtest86+ found it), segfault wasn't the most obvious symptom (although
some accesses to the corrupted file system would cause some programs to
segfault).