Re: [LUG] Running a big mailing list

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Andy Smith wrote:

Hi Simon,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 01:58:40PM +0000, Simon Williams wrote:
This still leaves the problem of needing a host that will let me send
2000+ emails a week, without having to pay a huge amount more. That said,
how much does Windows server cost for charities? Since I can throw it away
once I get this sorted I should probably factor that cost in.

Can anyone recommend a cheap VPS provider who won't limit my email? I'm
also looking for one for my own use if I can find a good price.

Email is very low bandwidth so I think you would find it extremely
difficult to use up even a stingy data transfer allowance when
sending 8,000 emails a month.

For example, this one is under 1KiB in size, so sending 8,000 copies
of it is going to be about 8MiB a month.  Naturally this is not
particularly accurate since there will be protocol overhead and a
bit of back and forth, but the final figure is not going to be a
factor of a thousand out.

Hmmmm....

I run mailing lists. Some have over 2000 members...

The biggest issues I've had over the past few years is the muppets and numpties who will not trim posts, nor post in plain text, and not attach images, documents, etc...

Once a single 1MB image is attached, those 2000 posts become 2GB of data to ship. (And bounce back )-:

A list whereby members can post is a bit different to a list used as a mailshot sort of thing though, even so, images, big documents, etc. are quite the norm these days...

Gordon