Re: [LUG] grep and dreadful command line skills

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Simon Waters wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

Thanks Gordon interesting post.

more like a rant ;-)

A lot of command take -- as an indicator to stop looking for parameters on
the
command-line.

One question....

Is it not "bash" doing this? Rather than the commands themselves?

I know "find" accepts "--" but I hadn't seen others.

It's the commands - so it's up to the commands themselves to implement it, although it's part of the standard gnu getopt package - so use getopt and you'll be "safe".

The handy one is the 'rm' command (and mv) - otherwise deleting (or renaming) a file that starts with a dash is somewhat intersting...

(and I use tcsh myself, but the filename expansion behaviour is the same)

Gordon