Re: [LUG] OT- Cheap Laptop

Michael Mortimore wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:59:41 -0000, John Hansen <whitover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Our granddaughter is partially sighted so a netbook will not suit her.

I suppose a couple of hundred pounds would seem reasonable.

How bad is it?

Is a laptop really a suitable option? As I see it, laptops in that price range are netbooks, 2nd hand or have fallen off the back of a lorry. Maybe it's just me but I don't think options 2 and 3 are very good. It's not like you can look at a computer and see that it has 3 years of life left in it. It could break on boxing day.

If she needs a large screen then I think a desktop will be much more cost effective.

You could get something along these lines:
Acer Aspire Revo R3600 Desktop PC, Atom 230 1.6GHz, 160GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, HDMI, nVidia GeForce 9400 ION, WIFI, Linux £144.99inc vat
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167153

ViewSonic VA2216W TFT Monitor 22" 1680 x 1050 300 cd/m2 2000:1 (dynamic) 5ms 16:9 VGA £102.68inc vat
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136897

And delivery within 5 days is free (£11 for next day)

You could shave a bit off and go for a smaller monitor (cheapest ebuyer have is 16" TFT or 17" CRT for £70) but personally I thought that £100 for 22" is a pretty good.

Both products seem to have good reviews and I've heard that nvidia ion is a pretty nice setup for a low cost PC. Best of all- comes with linux!

I'd agree with that, okay it's not going to be portable but 22" is a nice size screen, it could also be used to play movies and stuff too with the integrated NVidia VDPAU. If I'm right too, the Aspire Revo is small enough to me mounted on the back of the monitor so it's all neat and tidy.

It's certainly worth considering. Most people I know with laptops generally just leave them in one place and don't take them anywhere and remain tethered to the mains, makes me wonder why some people buy laptops, considering they are more expensive to repair compared to a desktop.

Rob