Re: [LUG] drupal and mysql

james kilty wrote:
On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 10:56 +0000, tom wrote:

Have you got MySqlAdministrator (its the easist way one you can log in to the server) iether way log in as root first - and then make sure user james has all the permissions required - ie login @ localhost!
I have made sure I have james@localhost with login password using
phpmyadmin with all privileges and I have created a suitable database
ready. I also made sure root with 3 provided entries (127.0.0.1
localhost and james-laptop) had passwords and all privileges. What is
the advantage of having so many ways in? Does the host value % allow
entry to all? Would it be an advantage to seet james@james-laptop as a
host so I can more easily access it remotely?
Its not so much the advantage of having so many ways to do something as having so many ways to STOP someone doing something. Anal retentive security - or security that works if you bother to set it up right. You can dis/en able people using the command line console, accessing from a local webserver, ssh etc as you choose. Try that with SqlServer - you'll need to buy at least two other servers and licences to get close!!
Tom te tom te tom