Re: [LUG] Possible Cornwall Meet...

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Grant Sewell wrote:

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 23:11:58 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009, Paul Sutton wrote:

If the meet is social then you don't need wireless
if the meet is social with people asking for help in advance, then
wireless is usefu.

however we have had technical meets at the rugby club with no
wireless and sorted out some issues.

Aren't we forgetting something?

We are geek and the geek will inherit...

We have smartphones, 3G capability, laptops and the know-how to turn
a laptop into a Wi-Fi access point using 3G....

Don't we?

Who needs a venue with Wi-Fi when we carry it with us ...

Gordon

I have a shiny new Palm Pre on O2 with an unlimited data plan.  The
Palm Pre runs Linux.  I'm not allowed to "tether" my Pre to any
devices, but it's relatively easy to make it into a Wifi/3G|HSPDA
router... and of course, that doesn't involve tethering! :D

I have "unlimited" data on my sim only O2 deal for £7.50 a month. Again, I'm not allowed tethering, however my phone has a fully functional web browser, ssh, voip, vpn, etc. clients, and can do as much data transferring as I could on a laptop when out & about... And when I put the same SIM into my Nokia N900 (when I get it) - I've effectively got the SIM *in* the laptop, so does that count as tethering, or not?

Mobile phone companies *really* irritate me with their stupidity and greed.

Gordon