Re: [LUG] OT: Broadband Options (Again)

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 02:55:18PM +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> Gordon Henderson wrote:
> >On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Rob Beard wrote:
> >
> >>Doesn't sound too bad I guess.  On a slow connection (say 2 Meg
> >>or under) I'd also suggest an Enta reseller.  I couldn't
> >>recommend them for anything faster though.  A customer of mine
> >>is on an 8 Meg Enta connection and they're lucky if they get 2
> >>Megs during the day.  But that could be related to the node
> >>they're on.
> >
> >Changing node is relatively easy - drop the ppp connection for 30
> >seconds (leave the ADSL connection up, if possible)
> >
> >However - I am surprised as I rarely see anything other than the
> >full 8Mb on my own connection and I've just been on the phone to a
> >customer who were complianing of slow downloads only to find that
> >they'd exceeded their 45GB peak allowance this month )-: (Enta now
> >throttle to 128Kb for the next GB before pulling the plug until
> >the end of the period) This customer connects at 22Mb/sec and can
> >max-out their line from some sites ...
> >
> >Gordon
> >
> Ahh that may explain it.  I gather they're on the home package (god
> knows why since they're a business, although they had it before I
> started doing stuff for them).  A couple of weeks ago they were
> moved to a 3GB package and did exceed their allowance.  I'll have to
> look into it a bit further the next time I'm down there.

I'm on entanet (www.ukfsn.org), retail package

- Normally downloads ~ 4-5Mbs, uploads ~ 300-450kbs
- Occasionally goes down but rarely for more than 5-10 minutes
- Tech response is on a payline (0870 I think) and I occasionally wait
  upwards of 10 minutes but once connected then problems are resolved
  rapidly. Last time I connected was when I had to reset the router when I forgot
the password

Not cheap but good service, reliable. Glad to recommend them

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.