Re: [LUG] Request for assistance regarding modems

Max Siegieda wrote:
Hello there everyone! I'm currently sat in the middle of a predicament and i'm wondering if anyone here can help, my problem is as follows:

    * My old modem/router combo doesn't support ADSL2+, we have
      recently switched to one of these shiny connections
    * We bought a router thinking this would solve the problem
      (Linksys WRT54GL) however we forgot the modem
    * I now require a modem (without the router, just the modem) that
      supports ADSL2+ and ideally Annex M, they seem to be hard to find

Any help with the finding of such a modem would be appreciated.
You can use a router with another router, simply connect the Linksys router to one of the ports on the ADSL router and plug everything else into the Linksys router. You may find you'd need to do a bit of port forwarding though, or set the Linksys router IP address as a DMZ.

On the other hand, unless you've got a good reason to hang onto the Linksys router (for instance you want to run Linux on it), I'd suggest returning the Linksys router and getting an ADSL Router.

The Netgear DG834G is compatible with ADSL2+ as is the newer Wireless N Netgear router (not sure of the model number of this one but I believe it can use a modified firmware).

The Draytek Vigor 2700 supports ADSL2+: http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2700.html

Up to you really. I haven't seen an ethernet ADSL modem in donkeys years. I used to have a SpeedTouch Home which was an ethernet ADSL Modem rather than a USB one, but that only supported ADSL (it was way before the time of ADSL2+).

Rob