Re: [LUG] iPlayer proxy?

Robin Cornelius wrote:

> So if i play some local
> artists CD, someone who is not signed up to Sony etc, how exactly do
> they get any money? I've seen claims that they represent the small
> artist and ensure they get paid? but i just do not get how this can
> work. If i was an artist I would not be happy about some one
> "representing" me with out a legal contract in place to ensure they
> they were working in *my* best interest and not a big record label.
> And i'm assuming they take a profit of the top of these license fees?
> Isn't that called "collection money" in some circles? If you don't pay
> up we will send our thugs..eer lawyers after you.

The PRS is a not for profit.

The contract in place for copyright holders is their membership
agreement (or that of their publisher). In it they effectively licence
their music/songs via the PRS. Also there is allegedly cross licensing
between similar organisations in other countries.

> I've seen an example in a shop where they were only playing CDs that
> the company (who owned the shop) owned the copyright too. So they were
> playing there own stuff and still forking out for a PRS license!

IANAL...

If they owned the copyright to the lyric and music, then they don't need
 to pay for a PRS license since they are not playing works by someone
represented by the PRS.

I suspect under article 72 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents act
1998, that many of the activities the PRS claim to licence are not
copyright infringing activities and don't need licences. But that is
between you, the PRS and your lawyer.