Re: [LUG] iPlayer proxy?

Grant Sewell wrote:
No, not *that* kind.  I'm not looking to use iPlayer from non-UK
countries, I'm looking to setup an iPlayer proxy in-house.  Essentially
we have several users in the office who listen "live" to Radio One
using the iPlayer.  I would like to be able to make it so rather than
having multiple connections to the BBC, our server continually streams
Radio One and our users can listen to it by connecting to our server.

I've no doubt the lovely "get_iplayer.pl" tool is what I'm looking for,
but I'm not sure how to go about it.

You can get 'get_iplayer' from here: http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer

AFAIK they have .deb packages available and other distros and Windows packages too (although I can't seem to get the Windows version to work as well as the one on Ubuntu).
I know get_iplayer.pl can pipe a stream to another application, but
what application could I use to allow others to listen to it?  I'm
thinking maybe something like "icecast", but I have no idea what I'm
doing!

Not sure if you could maybe stream it to VLC. VLC can stream from either a line input or from a file. On the other hand, you should probably find Icecast in the distro repositories. It's been a while since I played with icecast but if I remember correctly it can stream OGG streams (I think it can do MP3 too, but I'm certain I had to compile it from source to do MP3 streaming).

Anyway, doing a quick Google search I found this which may help:

http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast/attachments/20060426/ecf24f13/Icecast2-HOWTO.zip
I have installed icecast-server on my laptop (for now, for testing) -
how do I get the "get_iplayer.pl" stream output available for listening
on the icecast service?
I vaguely remember when I was re-streaming a radio stream (from WMA) to Icecast I had to use mplayer to a named pipe and then to ices2 which then converted the output from mplayer (a WAV stream IIRC) into OGG format and forwarded it on to Icecast. Then the clients simply connected to the Icecast stream on the server.

Hopefully this will help. If you can hang on until this evening I'll dig out what I used to do streaming.

On the other hand, could you just block access to the stream and tell them to buy a radio?

(also, doesn't the business technically need a radio license, and depending on the type of business, a PRS license?).

Rob

Rob