Re: [LUG] Well off topic, but any thoughts ? training on MS Project

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 07:12:20PM +0100, Michael Mortimore wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:28:40 +0100, Henry Bremridge
> <henry.bremridge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >If MS Project is a pre-requisite then that is what has to be
> >supplied.  Having said that: for small projects, I would have thought
> >that a spreadsheet could do 80% of the work for at least 80% less
> >headache..
>
> Not sure I agree with you there. MS project has resource balancing and
> can shunt tasks around based on prerequisites and deadlines. I
> wouldn't want to try that in a spreadsheet. Even if you just want to
> draw a gant chart, it's much quicker than using a spreadsheet.
> Although MS project is a product I don't wish to use, I do see value
> in what it can do.

Apologies: MS Project is an incredibly useful tool. My only point is
that with a *small* project then the project manager will be doing a lot
of resource levelling in his/her head. And software or no software the
project manager will have to persuade and cajole others to meet their
critical paths: working overtime if need be.

At that point a spreadsheet based gantt / pert chart has the
following advantages:
- Its cheaper that formal project software
- It requires the project manager to manage the critical path
- It does not need so much explaining
- One person has to be made responsible and nothing is "hidden" by the
  software.

  (As a personal preference I HATE being given a spreadsheet and asked
  to agree with a result that it shows. Going through someone else's
  spreadsheet and ensuring the formulas and assumptions are correct is a
  pain.

  Similarly on the few occasions I have used MS Project, getting people
  to understand the resource limitations that are part of the model is also a
  pain. Deadlines people do understand.)

Yes formal project management software is essential: I suppose my belief
is that immortal phrase "KISS"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.