Re: [LUG] Upgrading Missus' Hard drive

M.Blackmore wrote:
On Sun, 2009-10-04 at 12:58 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
The only issue is backing it up.

1. Rsync over network to an *ancient* PC with a sata card and a 1 gig
drive
Take it you mean 1TB? :-)
2. A pair of Buffalo USB external device my wife is going to
alternatively take to work with her every Monday and bring home every
Friday for backing up over the weekend.
Not a bad idea, off site backups. A couple of my customers don't even have off site backups despite me suggesting it as a cheap method of adding extra security.
We hope that is secure enough. I await with impatience Blu-Ray coming
down in price (haven't checked prices for ages now come to think of it)
for an extra backup.

Looks to still be about £130 ish for a Bluray writer with 25GB BD-R (write once) media costing about £4 and 25GB BD-RE (rewritable) about £9 a disc. Getting cheaper, but still not cheap enough for my liking.
More and more of our stuff that takes any space is static like photos
and videos we want to keep of family stuff mightily boring to anyone
else no doubt, but means that if blu-ray disks are getting cheap enough
then a couple of them burnt for the static material would be enough
insurance I hope.
Personally I'd use DVD-RAM. Although they tend to only hold 4.7GB per side (giving 9.4GB on a double sided disc) they are more suited to archiving and are said to last longer than conventional media such as CD-R/DVD-R/BD-R. I guess though if you maybe backup the media every couple of years just in case then you'd probably be okay.

I've got some good quality DVD & CD media which is going on 6 years old now and it's still okay, on the other hand I have some CD-R media kicking around which is about 10 years old which didn't fare so well.

Must put pressure on wife and kids to select down the amount of not so
good photos and videos so we keep a more highly qualitative set for the
static "reserve"... at the moment the digital cameras mean they are
still way to snap-happy and footage-foolish.
My wifey has a habit of copying the photos off our camera and leaving them on the memory card too. Not really a space problem as it's only a 3.2 Mega pixel camera with a 2GB card, but it can be annoying getting duplicates in various locations. One thing I do like though is the fact we can just take random pictures, for instance if the kids do something funny or cute, even if it's not that great quality we still back them up. I'm not so fussed about the storage space required, but then we're talking about a couple of gig rather than hundreds of gigs.

Seems like a different eon when we used to worry about fitting our
theses drafts with embedded tables etc onto a floppy drive and having
enough room... now documentation is utterly trivial in terms of capacity
of media!
Yep. I remember years back thinking I'd never fill my brand new 1GB hard drive. :-)

Rob