[LUG] Upgrading Missus' Hard drive

Running ubuntu, she has an Hitachi IDE ATA hard-drive (160GB) and needs
some more space..

In googling:
- SATA disks seem to be larger for the same price than than ATA disks
- SATA disks require
        - An appropriate motherboard
        - Or an ATA PCI Card (£30 from Maplin, £16 from Dabs, £5 from Amazon)
        - Or an SATA to ATA connector

Then I saw this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-Expansion-VIA-VT6421a-chipset/dp/B000S87GG0
4 Port SATA PCI Expansion Card &IDE VIA VT6421a chipset (3 Sata plus IDE) for £10

Which I figured I could plug into a spare slot, and add the new SATA drive

Question

1/ Has anyone used one of these things before, can anyone see any problems?
2/ Any opinions on having SATA and IDE in one ubuntu machine?
3/ Any opinions on which new hard drive (Samsung Spin Point F1 1TB
Internal SATA Hard Drive for £56 was what I was thinking of, as opposed
to ~ £45 for 500 MB ide)

Many thanks

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.