Re: [LUG] OT: VM Fibre to the cabinet trial in Saltash

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Chris Tipney wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

A friend of mine was having intermittent connections a while back - changed router from a relatively old one, and it's been solid ever since.. I suspect the PSU was "wearing out" ...

Gordon

Gordon,

We have a filtered faceplate (BT thingy fitted by them the last time I complained) - the router is fairly new (Netgear wireless) I could get anew one but I assumed if it worked even intermittently then it was ok. The router is right by the faceplate but very close to the CAT 5 cabinet (installed by the previous owner).

btw what is NTE5 ?

the NTE5 is the code for the new(ish) type of wall box supplied by BT (openreach). It's the box with the split-front where you take the front off and have a "master socket". All the house wiring should be connected to the front faceplate and not the part screwed to the wall...

Sounds like you already have one though. Just make sure any house wiring comes off the front panel and not the back box.

We are at the limit of the ADSL distance which is the excuse BT and my ISP (Nildram) use when I complain - hence my enthusiasm for a new fibre link :-)

Good luck if you can get it!

btw I have been following the Arduino threads - I haven't got one yet but I would like to try this winter. Initially I would like to monitor greenhouse temps - maybe add a 'frost-stat' type heater as well. Can't make the meeting this weekend - already committed.

Sometimes I wonder if we use technology for technologys sake - there are electromechanical devices to do that, and min/max thermometers...

Nice to see it in a graph on a web browser with a button to let you manually turn the heating on though :)

Gordon