Re: [LUG] OT: VM Fibre to the cabinet trial in Saltash

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Chris Tipney wrote:

Currently at least 5 times a day we loose the ADSL link - but it always comes back if you dial out on the line - 30 secs on 1571 is enough to 'wake up' the ADSL link, I don't know whey it works !

Still only  1/2 to 3/4 Mb at best.

I presume you've gone through all the "best practice" stuff to get the best you can? New NTE5 - dicsonect all extensions - run extensions off a filtered faceplate, (new) router on a short lead from the faceplate, etc.?

A friend of mine was having intermittent connections a while back - changed router from a relatively old one, and it's been solid ever since.. I suspect the PSU was "wearing out" ...

Gordon

Gordon,

We have a filtered faceplate (BT thingy fitted by them the last time I complained) - the router is fairly new (Netgear wireless) I could get anew one but I assumed if it worked even intermittently then it was ok. The router is right by the faceplate but very close to the CAT 5 cabinet (installed by the previous owner).

btw what is NTE5 ?

We are at the limit of the ADSL distance which is the excuse BT and my ISP (Nildram) use when I complain - hence my enthusiasm for a new fibre link :-)

Cheers,

Chris

btw I have been following the Arduino threads - I haven't got one yet but I would like to try this winter. Initially I would like to monitor greenhouse temps - maybe add a 'frost-stat' type heater as well. Can't make the meeting this weekend - already committed.