Re: [LUG] OT: VM Fibre to the cabinet trial in Saltash

Rob Beard wrote:
Hi folks,

Just seen this on The Register: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/08/vm_cornwall/

It seems that Virgin Media are also trialling fibre to the cabinet in Higher Pill, Saltash.

Might be of some interest to some of the folks in Cornwall. It seems that Virgin have had another company lay some fibre (presumably from the exchange to the cabinet) and Virgin will be installing VDSL2+ to give up to 50Mbit/sec broadband.

Not only would this mean faster speeds, but also the possibility of getting TV services from Virgin too.

Maybe this might mean that long term, Virgin may start to expand their network using technology other than cable and actually offer some competition to BT in non-cable areas.

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for spotting that - it's being sent to Hatt as well which is where our BT 'junction box' is located so we may at last get reliable and fast connections.

Currently at least 5 times a day we loose the ADSL link - but it always comes back if you dial out on the line - 30 secs on 1571 is enough to 'wake up' the ADSL link, I don't know whey it works !

Still only  1/2 to 3/4 Mb at best.

Cheers,

Chris