Re: [LUG] Upgrading Missus' Hard drive

Simon Waters wrote:
tom wrote:
I'd be intrigued to know what takes all that space

You just present it like this:

1MB is a good sized book.

1GB is 1000 good sized books.

No one would be daft enough to leave all that data uncompressed, so 1GB
is more like 5000 good sized books.

160GB is thus enough storage for 800,000 good sized book.

A dedicated full time speed reader could read about 40,000 good sized
books in a lifetime if they didn't have to work/sleep or rest their eyes.

On this basis 10GB should be enough for anyone - or is there more to
life than books?

It wasn't meant to be a criticism - as I said I'd be intrigued. In business most space wasted is in WOM (write only memory :docs that no-one will ever read). To some extent we are moving into the WOM - write only media. Photos are selected for an album but jpgs are all saved thus seriously diminishing the pleasure of flipping through the good stuff (back to books here!). Like the Japanese on holiday - too busy taking photos and videos to actually enjoy the holiday and too busy to look at them when they get home. I just keep seeing this repeating (to me) thing where because its really easy we do it. So we keep all this stuff we never interact with anymore. In business we keep every document or keystroke ever made but because we were never 'forced' to think about it before filing it remains for ever satellite data - more of a comfort blanket. At least the mice in the attic eat some of the debris.
Tom te tom te tom