Re: [LUG] Upgrading Missus' Hard drive

On Sunday 04 October 2009, Rob Beard wrote:
> Henry Bremridge wrote:
> > Running ubuntu, she has an Hitachi IDE ATA hard-drive (160GB) and needs
> > some more space..
> >
> > In googling:
> > - SATA disks seem to be larger for the same price than than ATA disks
> > - SATA disks require
> >     - An appropriate motherboard
> >     - Or an ATA PCI Card (£30 from Maplin, £16 from Dabs, £5 from Amazon)
> >     - Or an SATA to ATA connector
> >
> > Then I saw this
> >
> > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-Expansion-VIA-VT6421a-chipset/dp/B000S87GG0
> > 4 Port SATA PCI Expansion Card &IDE VIA VT6421a chipset (3 Sata plus IDE)
> > for £10
> >
> > Which I figured I could plug into a spare slot, and add the new SATA
> > drive
> >
> > Question
> >
> > 1/ Has anyone used one of these things before, can anyone see any
> > problems?
>
> Not used a PCI SATA card myself before but being a VIA chipset I'd say
> it should be fairly well supported.
>
> > 2/ Any opinions on having SATA and IDE in one ubuntu machine?

I bought a new Asus mother board and SATA drive recently.  After getting it
all up and running I plugged in a PATA drive to transfer stuff from my old
Home directory.  The mobo recognised both drives but insisted on trying to
boot from the PATA drive.  I fiddled with the bios but as far as it was
concerned if you have a pata drive fitted, it ignores any SATA drives.  There
are 3 options to boot sequence; removeable device, CD rom and hard drive.
The hard drive is selected by the BIOS and it selects pata if one is fitted.
There may be a way around this but I fitted the pata drive to another machine
to get the info off.

George