Re: [LUG] Upgrading Missus' Hard drive

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 12:00:27 +0100, Henry Bremridge <henry.bremridge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

1/ Has anyone used one of these things before, can anyone see any problems?
My experience with controller cards is that I have just bought them and hoped it's supported. Thus far I haven't been disappointed. The only issue I have encountered is that putting 2 identical cards into the same machine resulted in only 1 being detected at a time. I can imagine this varies from card to card (and maybe driver to driver). 2 different cards are detected and work as normal.
2/ Any opinions on having SATA and IDE in one ubuntu machine?
I have a machine using IDE off the mobo and a SATA controller card (and also an IDE controller) and it works fine. I couldn't find a gizmo to plug a sata drive into an ide port, only the reverse.
3/ Any opinions on which new hard drive (Samsung Spin Point F1 1TB
Internal SATA Hard Drive for £56 was what I was thinking of, as opposed
to ~ £45 for 500 MB ide)
I think 1.5TB is getting down to a decent price per gig now. As for chosing 1 drive over another, lacking any knowledge on the subject, I choose based on price per gig.