Re: [LUG] Government response to petition 'nonMSschools'

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 08:39:10 +0100, Paul Hirst <paul.hirst@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 21:14 +0100, james kilty wrote:

"If a school sets up a small network in its computer science department
running an open source operating system such as Linux, to ensure that
pupils have as wide a range of ICT skills as possible, it will have to
pay Microsoft annual licence fees for each of the Linux PCs in the
school."

I know this adds nothing to the discussion, but why isn't this illegal?
This implication is that if you go and find some old hardware, bring it
into school (get it electrically tested :-) ) and then stick Linux on
it, Microsoft deserves to get some money. Huh??

Dammit, it's Monday morning and now I'm in a really bad mood...

I didn't really understand why they have to pay anything to microsoft or why they think they have to.