Re: [LUG] Government response to petition 'nonMSschools'

tom wrote:
> Adrian Midgley wrote:
>> 2009/9/28 Paul Hirst <paul.hirst@xxxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:paul.hirst@xxxxxxxxxx>>
>>
>>     On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 21:14 +0100, james kilty wrote:
>>

>>     This implication is that if you go and find some old hardware,
>>     bring it
>>     into school (get it electrically tested :-) ) and then stick Linux on
>>     it, Microsoft deserves to get some money. Huh??
>>

>> Looks like a bad contract.
> No, I think you'll find that MS told the schools it was in their
> interests to agree to that, one way or another.
> I personally think vendor lock-ins should be illegal. It always amuses
> me that those that tell us free trade is the best thing for us avoid it
> at all costs!
> Tom te tom te tom

I think the current situation is that you can install Linux or have macs
and not have to pay a license fee,  however it seems money is grabbed by
other means, so unless more than 10 percent of your computers run non
windows systems, you pay more.

http://news.becta.org.uk/display.cfm?resID=40552&page=1661

note the potentially reducing costs.  But done by stealth and the back
door.

I agree it should be illigal,  we need to get more facts from BECTA so
we know the current situation,  (see above) then perhaps make a formal
complaint to the office of fair trading, (OFT) asking for another
investigation.

Or we could let the general public know about the current situation and
those who seem angry get them to demand answers from both councillors
and MP's.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org
Meetings 1st Saturday of the month - Shoreline, Paignton from 3pm
Software freedom day 2009 - Saturday 19th September 2009