Re: [LUG] Brick Walls was: Government response to petition 'nonMSschools'

On Sat, 2009-09-26 at 10:54 +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:

> Well they are advising against using office 2007,  one of the many myths
> out there is that openoffice cannot save or in some cases open .doc or
> .docx et al, files,

The openoffice which comes with Ubuntu Jaunty (seems to be OO 3.0.1) can
open xlsx files but doesn't seem to be able to save them. Have I missed
something somewhere?

This has caused me some annoyance. I can't edit other peoples
spreadsheets without resorting to Windows running in VirtualBox. This is
almost the only thing I have to resort to Windows for. The only other,
is booking meetings using outlook. I'm hoping at some point the MAPI
plugin for evolution will solve this for me but at the moment I can't
make it work for love nor money.

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.