[LUG] Brick Walls was: Government response to petition 'nonMSschools'

tom wrote:
> james kilty wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 12:55 +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
>>

>>> Government response below
>>>
>>> http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page20711
>>>

>> Interesting the hedging.
>>
>> "To suggest that only an open source operating system should be used
>> would run counter to the view that schools should have flexibility and a
>> choice of services."
>>
>> Also:
>>
>> "Becta does not recommend any single operating system because the agency
>> believes that schools should consider and choose the best system for
>> their particular circumstances."
>>
>> Then in
>>
>> Link to Becta's advice (discussed a good while ago) to show how good
>> they are:
>>
>> Lots on Vista's problems - then
>>
>> "Due to limitations in Microsoft's implementation of the Open Document
>> Format (ODF) international standard, users should in the short term
>> continue to save files in the more widely adopted .doc, .xls and .ppt
>> formats."
>>
>> No mention of Linux until the last para:
>>
>> "If a school sets up a small network in its computer science department
>> running an open source operating system such as Linux, to ensure that
>> pupils have as wide a range of ICT skills as possible, it will have to
>> pay Microsoft annual licence fees for each of the Linux PCs in the
>> school."
>>
>> So, it is down to the individuals in the schools to know about, want to
>> use, and be clued up before they start. Hardly a drive as claimed:
>>
>> "Becta is the Government Agency leading the national drive to ensure the
>> effective use of technology throughout learning."
>>
>> Brick wall?
>>
> hedging , brick wall - make your mind up.
> You expected a sensible response?
> A new catch phrase for ya: Government joined up stinking!
> Tom te tom te tom

Re Brick Walls

I can't tell you what I really want to tell you about working in the IT
department at Torbay Council because of the public nature of this forum
and the contractual "obligations" (AKA gagging order) I am working
under. But lets just say that after writing a very carefully crafted and
researched discussion document on adoption of open source and open
standards within Torbay Council as the first step to getting a rigorous
cost / risk analysis exercise initiated,  I was told it would be too
costly and too risky.

Let me just emphasis that again, just in case you missed it ! BEFORE
Torbay Council have done any analysis Torbay Council have drawn a
CONCLUSION.

Closed Minds.
Brick Walls.

Again I have said more than enough to get me hung drawn an quartered ......

Tom