Re: [LUG] Brick Walls was: Government response to petition 'nonMSschools'

tom wrote:
> tom wrote:
>> james kilty wrote:

>>> Interesting the hedging.
>>>
>>> "To suggest that only an open source operating system should be used
>>> would run counter to the view that schools should have flexibility and a
>>> choice of services."
>>>
>>> Also:
>>>
>>> "Becta does not recommend any single operating system because the agency
>>> believes that schools should consider and choose the best system for
>>> their particular circumstances."
>>>
>>> Then in
>>>
>>> Link to Becta's advice (discussed a good while ago) to show how good
>>> they are:
>>>
>>> Lots on Vista's problems - then
>>>
>>> "Due to limitations in Microsoft's implementation of the Open Document
>>> Format (ODF) international standard, users should in the short term
>>> continue to save files in the more widely adopted .doc, .xls and .ppt
>>> formats."
>>>
>>> No mention of Linux until the last para:

Well they are advising against using office 2007,  one of the many myths
out there is that openoffice cannot save or in some cases open .doc or
.docx et al, files,   If we can counter this then perhaps we can then
get schools to install open office, even if it is along side MS office.
If it proves more popular then things may change.

Schools could easily give copies of Openoffice away,  to give every
child a chance of using the same software,   it would probably solve a
lot of problems with those that have office 07 at home due to having a
new computer,  perhaps this is how we need to pitch OSS to schools.

going back to what Rob beard posted about

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/09/ms_linux_pitch/

we need to look in to these claims and find a way to counter them.   I
wonder if this campaign will come over here,

Paul