From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Simon Williams
Sent: 23 September 2009 13:10
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] ADSL modem/router woes

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> ADSL isn't all that bad - even though my own connection has a fault
> which BT won't fix unless I pay them lot of money, however it doesn't
> stop me getting 8mb in and 830Kb out...
>
> The biggest issue I've seen have been the cabling. It's also possible
> you have a duff line port at the exchange.

It's not the speed or the reliability of the connection I'm concerned
about at the moment. Even if I have the most unreliable or buggy
connection ever, that shouldn't break the ADSL device requiring a
factory reset. It also won't slow the connection to 1 BIT per second,
and this has only happened with 1 device so again it's clearly a
firmware issue.

> The most flexible solution is going to be an ADSL modem and a Linux
> router. Most routers can work in bridge mode - you just need one with
> reliable analogue electronics and DSP chipset...

This is the conclusion I came to when trying to get the router to do
things like local DNS. DD-WRT currently supports basically no ADSL
devices. Thus it's next to impossible to get an ADSL device which would
have these features. And since it's next to impossible to get an ADSL
device which actually works, both conditions don't seem likely.

So this is why I bought the Buffalo and put the D-link back into service
(with new firmware). Since most routers should be capable of bridge mode
(or I could use the DMZ feature) I can keep the Buffalo doing the NAT,
even if I replace the D-Link with a router rather than a modem.

> Another modem I've installed a couple of in recently months (for friends
> who won't pay for a Draytek!) is the new DLink series. They seem OK, but
> time will tell...

I paid 40 quid for the D-Link in the first place! Not happy... really
really not happy.

The only conclusion I have been able to draw from the replies to this is
that, aside from ADSL being generally poor, there isn't a single ADSL
device that anyone can actually recommend without saying it needed
manual intervention at some point. Maybe I should buy the most expensive
Draytek I can get my hands on.

I think I'm going to cry...