Re: [LUG] Distros by the dozen

Viv wrote:

Perhaps there is no point asking people what they think about different distros because our views are based on which distros we can get to work with the least problems (well, in my case, anyway).

I'd have thought that was a good reason to ask what they think about different distro's, especially if they have similar hardware as you.

There does come a point (at least if you are doing installs routinely/professionally) if you stick with a distro where you get a lot better at spotting and resolving installation issues, and the other aspects of the distro come to the fore.

I had a desktop box that installed Ubuntu (mumble) instantly, but Debian Sarge and Etch installs on it were a pain. However I knew it could work because Ubuntu "just worked", and bashed away because my plans required it run Debian proper. I should note later that box had Debian Lenny installed which "just worked".

But yes different distros have different strengths, which is why it is worth discussing them. It would be dreadful to be stuck with one central Linux distro, that one company would have to adjust to allow you to install it on radically different hardware. Imagine how stifling that would be to innovation.