Re: [LUG] Distros by the dozen

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Viv wrote:

Perhaps there is no point asking people what they think about different distros because our views are based on which distros we can get to work with the least problems (well, in my case, anyway). After that, I find I get familiar with the distros I am using and prefer them because I know them well - for me, 'familiarity DOES NOT breed contempt' when it comes to using Linux.

Heh...

I started with (I think) SLS - way back in about '94 or '95 when I was living in the US (it came over from the UK on a Sun DC150 tape and the install was done via NFS served off a Sun - quite remarkable for the time!)

When I got back to the UK, all my peers were playing with this new fangled Debian 0.93 (or something) and it's been downhill since then :)

I've dabbled with RHEL because I had to for a job - SuSE too, but always managed to use Debian on servers and my own personal machines, although I've not very "pure" to the cause - I will install my own versions of sendmail, apache, php, mysql, etc. and treat the underlying Debian as just a bare carrier - many reasons including having to support many other unixes over the years (*BSD, H-PUX, IRIX, SunOs/Solaris) and I'm probably also a bit stuck in my ways :)

Gordon